Does my son have tourettes?
About 2 years ago, my son was almost 10 at the time, my sons grandpa passed away. Not long after he died I noticed my son would frequently and very noticeably roll his eyes to the side. He did this often even to the point that his eyes would bother him after a full day of doing it. I attributed it all to being stressed and upset from losing someone close to him.
After a few months I noticed it had progressed to the eye rolling plus blinking really hard.  It was always there but I noticed it was worse when he was nervous, tired, upset, etc.  I kind of got used to it after awhile and really didn't "notice" it anymore. But it never went away. My son will be 12 in a couple months and more recently, within the last couple months, he began clearing his throat often and even wheezing. At first I thought about taking him to the ER because it was like he couldn't breath. I am in my 2nd year of nursing school, so I could actually see that he was not in any respiratory distress. After that first wheezing/coughing episode he started doing a "honking" or "low whistle" like noise from his throat. He does it very often and again when he is stressed, upset, etc it is a lot more pronounced. Because it has progressed and is now something that most people can/will notice, I worry about him getting teased. I can tell he is kind of embarrassed because sometimes when its really bad he will say "What are you looking at" if anyone looks at him when he does it. He has told me he can not control it. Do I need to take him to see someone? I don't want to make it worse by stressing him out more, but the more I read about tourettes the more concerned I become.
Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Concerned Mom
Sorry its taken so long for someone to answer you. I would go to neurologist
http://www.tsa-usa.org/index.html

I have it and well It's shaped me and now I make the choice not to treat the TS directly because its so much apart of me. like my glasses.

but I've learned ways to cope and such but when I was young I wasn't ready to learn those things so going to see a neurologist is more then likely a good bet. Your going to become disciplined and understanding about its not a choice exactly. medication can help but that a conversation to be had with me since like I said I choose alternative methods and I try to treat the OCD and anxiety aspects.

You'll learn to look past those things just as my mother did.

I hope I help to some degree...........