Tourette Syndrome Community
Facial movement and head tics

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Facial movement and head tics

My 7 year old son has just started exibiting some repeated mouth movements.  It is almost as if he is having sinus drainage by the way that he stretches his mouth and nose downward.  In the last 4 days he has started bobbing his head back and forth in a downward motion as well as the facial tics.  Can this be caused by an allergic reaction to a different type of laundry detergent, or is an allergic reaction clearly out of the question for something like this?  
My 4 yr old son has just started to have violent neck twitching in which he throws his neck back several times.  He does this so hard that his neck has started to make a cracking sound and he is usually in tears by the end of the day.  His father and our older son have minor motor Tics (blinking of the eyes, shrugging of the shoulders, opening of the mouth, etc.) and I have brought our 4 yr old to a Neurologist who diagnosed him with the Tic Disorder. I have not experienced such a bad Tic before and was wondering if anyone has any advice for treatment. I too am wondering if this could have been set off from any kind of allergic reaction...

look at the tourettes web site.facial tics usually start from age 7-10.your son will have to have this tic for 1 year to be diagnosed,more then likely.is your son a good student?reads well?average at math?if not,pay attention to:arms flapping,silly gestures,grunting or barking noises-even at play.out burst etc.most doctors will rule some of these actions as "normal growing"playing etc.but if your child has an involuntary tic as well as other things you notice as a mother-listen to your instinct.stressful situations etc can manifest into a nervous tic or twitch that will go away.just to be prudent,you could get rid of cleaning chemicals,vapors,etc then wait and see.not a doctor,but if your son continues the tic more then a few months-clue the school and pediatrician in so he doesnt get swept under the rug.especially if hes having problems with school work-teachers tend to blame the student-doesnt try,not focused,etc,which will only ad to your son frustration and make his tic worse.be his advocate,because there is alot of head scratching going on when it comes to this condition.so,the finger gets pointed at your son,maybe even your parenting?if they chalk it up to "behavior"when the "behavior"is due to tourettes theyll do you and your son injustice and worse waste your time
i could be wrong,but id bet your son has tourettes.mr.neurologist probably isnt going to stick his neck out with a diagnosis until your son is 7 or 8 and still symptomatic.the truth is,they dont know alot about it-they"think"it "might" be genectic.they hope kids will "grow out of it"etc,there is no tests that confirms tourettes.if he started with the mouth tic,then the shoulders,has out bursts etc-keep a record of when how often etc.until they can figure out,why,how and what to do,i would smother my child with love and when you see him go into a tick,talk to him and see if he can try to stop it-if its hard for him its probably involuntary-best you can do is joke around with him,lets him no its like a habit we all have-bitting nails etc-make him feel as normal as possible,because kids can be cruel and schools unfortunately are ill-prepared.the most important thing is to feed his confidence in himself.if he out grows it,great,but if not you can empower him while hes young.im just a mom with an opinion-
I have the same tics as your son. I am treating with botox which has made them disappear almost completely. I have also tried some pills containing pimozide. This also had good effect on the tics, but made me very sleepy.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/tics/show/1006487?personal_page_id=603923
(my question to the expert forum may be at help)

Good luck!!
I have Tourette Syndrome. My first tics were at the age of 5. I kept on gulping, then it spread out to scrunching my nose, rolling my eyes, and jerking my neck and hitting my stomach. I really think you son has tourette syndrome. I would take him to the neuro. Some children are diagnosed as early a 2 years old. I was diagnosed when I was 13, because of some issues are family had, we couldn't go earlier. The ealier you catch the TS the more help you can get, the more help you can get the more you can work with the tics.
here is a web site I made: isthistourette.web.com
and my youtube is: youtube.com/user/isthistourettes
they both have info about my tics and on youtube you can see them!!
:)
good luck!!
Omg someone that finnaly sees the big picture.......please email me ***@**** love to talk to you
that might be the best response and advice i have ever heard from someone talking about tourettes!! i'm 32 and have had tourettes all my life. FYI... I never leave a comment, but i had to this time.