Help for our Son
My Son is 9 years old and has suffered with mild facial tics for the past 3 years.  They stopped for a couple of months however he recently started playing football and they have returned.  He says he loves to play mostly for him, a percentage for his Dad.  He started having stomach cramps 3 weeks ago so I took him to the Dr. and he ran all kinds of tests, everything came back normal.  He is a nervous kid but a great kid, he made the a-b honor roll and is very compassionate and just a soft person.  His Dr. seems to think his stomach pain is emotional, I agree, should we continue to let him play football, by the way he is a great player and loves the attention and he is really really good so far, and let him work this out himself or do I stop him from playing because he worried about getting "hit" and worries about the other players as well.  I am so torn and need a 3rd opinion.  Please help.
I would first find out if continuing to play football is something that he really wants to do.  If playing football is not what is causing the problems, I wonder if not playing would make him unhappy.  I myself have tourettes and OCD. I have personally dealt with much anxiety and upset stomach because of my excessive worrying that is attributed to my OCD, and because of the frustrating affects of tourettes.  I am by NO means saying your son has OCD, I am simply stating that you may want to find out more about what triggers his stomach pains. Is it something he is dealing with at school, is his tourettes causing more anxiety than usual for some reason, is it only during specific situations?

Also, I have met with a counselor and found it to be very beneficial and I just offer this as another very positive option.  This may help him identify what is causing the worries and anxiety.

Adam