Tourette Syndrome Community
Help

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Help

I'm 26 years old I've had Tourette's syndrome and OCD since the age of 7 with varying degrees of severity, Different tics have come and gone, but in the past few years I've been experiencing some very painful tics that have been causing me physical injury. For example snapping my teeth together which has led to chipped teeth, and the worst tic has been one where I push my jaw to the side so hard that I now have a dislocated jaw. I recently heard about habit reversal training and I've been looking into it. I'm not sure if I'm right but from what I've understood it seems like it can help people switch there tics to a more acceptable one. Is there any possibility that habit reversal therapy could help me switch these painful dangerous tics to something less harmful?
So sorry to hear about your tics. My daughter has tourettes pretty bad but no jaw like tics. I was reading somewhere today about a device that goes in your mouth to stop those type of tics. i wish I could remember where I read it. I will let you know if I find it.
These are two web sites that I have ran into by reading some of the commenters on this website. Really hope this helps you.   http://www.absimsdds.com/ ****** http://www.erinelste...?ConditionID=24
Hello there,

Pretty sure I am the guy who posted the sites mentioned above in my thread "Tourette's Cure - Worked for Me"

My tic, the worst one, was located in my jaw - when I don't wear my appliance that's the one that comes flooding back.
I can empathize, as my jaw was at the point where it was basically nearly dislocating on an ongoing basis, with huge cracking sounds, and severe pain.
I actually had to have molars removed because they had dug into the side of my mouth so deep as to be just lancing a raw nerve. It was horrible.

This appliance has stopped it, pretty much completely.
I would tic, at times, at least once every couple seconds - enough to fully inhibit dialoguing with people.

Anyway, please check out the sites the guy posted above. As well, check out the thread I started on this appliance, as there is feedback from other people, as well as other practitioner's contact information.

Hope it works
r