Tourette Syndrome Community
How do I cope?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

How do I cope?

I am a 15 year old girl, and I've always been pretty spontaneous. I have tourettes. I blurt out extremely random words such as 'Green Beans!' (which has been a 'favorite' lately) just because I feel the need to say them. I some times jerk my head to one side, too fast to be natural, and not on purpose, like someone just slapped backhanded me. Sometimes, it goes down the shoulders, too. I think I've had it all along, thinking that the tics were just dietary twitches... except they aren't consistent with what I eat. It's an itch. I can restrain myself by shivering slightly, but I have had the need to step into the hall for a moment to 'get the jitters out'. I don't have ADHD, I have boarderline ADD, and borderline OCD. Is there any way to cope other than postponing it? It's getting harder to control and people are starting to notice. I haven't told many people outside of family. I go back to public high school next year after a year of traveling. How will I keep people from noticing this growing problem? It usually happens in a while studying or under stress or around a lot of people. I'm beginning to associate it's appearances with stress, but sometimes they come out of nowhere when I'm in my comfort zone.
I remember being in ur shoes its hard enough bein a teen but a teen with somethin that NO1 understand...I was diagnosed with TS when I was 13...am 31 now...all I can say is...it dose get better ur probably at ur worse stage now but they do settle down and lessen in intesity...I promise...the way I deal with it is...I tell ppl what I have and explain it to them...its fun when ppl r being dumb...I make them feel tiny just hy educating them...lol...I get some sick pleasure out of it...tics r worse when u feel "safe" ur free to b u without judyement or on lookers...my tics r worse right b4 I fall asleep...google TSA...they have some exalent info for coping and educational info that r VERY helpful...trust me...ull b fine...better than fine ur gunna b great sweetie...btw my name is Rachel...hope u feel better...like I said write me anytime...if u need to rant or share somethin or just to talk to some1 who fully understands where u commin from...b strong & keep smiling