Tourette Syndrome Community
I need 504 plan help for my daughter asap

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

my 6 year old daughter has Tourette Syndrome, OCD, ADHD, ODD, anxiety and sleep disorders, and some sensory issues as well.  I'm supposed to sit down with her school this commiong Tues May 5th to discuss having a 504 plan implemented for her and I don't even know where to begin.  Her anxiety, ODD, sensory issues and sleep problems have been about 60% under control with medication and I'd say her Tics, OCD, and ADHD are about 30-40% under control depending on the day.  Her symptoms differ from day to day and worsen with any sudden changes to her daily routine or environment, as well as stress, and we've also noticed that when she gets sick her sypmtoms go haywire.  The only rescources that I have been able to contact are the NH dept. of education, the Tourette Syndrome Association, and The parent Information Center.  None have them have been too helpful as of yet.  I've been told that I should request for her to be evaluated by the school department for special needs.  I still have no clue on how to write up a 504 plan and have little knowledge as to what would best accomodate my childs needs.  I've already had a few run ins with my daughters school this year.  I called for 3 weeks straight requesting the guidance counseler to call me back when I noticed my daughters grades dropping and It took for me to write a nasty letter to the school principal to get a return phone call.  I don't want to go into this meeting blind.  If anyone out there has gone through this, can you please help me?
I'm sorry -- I just read your posting on here 4 months after you wrote yours. How's it going? My daughter went through the same. It seems like quite a few in the schools do not know what to do. I had to educate the schools about Tourette's - sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

My daughter is 23 now and doing well. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here.
I have Tourette Syndrome. My first tics were at the age of 5. I kept on gulping, then it spread out to scrunching my nose, rolling my eyes, and jerking my neck and hitting my stomach.  I was diagnosed when I was 13, because of some issues are family had, we couldn't go earlier. The ealier you catch the TS the more help you can get, the more help you can get the more you can work with the tics.
here is a web site I made: isthistourette.web.com
and my youtube is: youtube.com/user/isthistourettes
they both have info about my tics and on youtube you can see them!!
:)
good luck!!