Tourette Syndrome Community
Is there a cure for tourettes?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Is there a cure for tourettes?

My son is 9yrs. old and was recentley diagnosed with ts.  He also has adhd(diagnosed at age 6). He takes vyvanse 40m. for adhd, risperdone 1m. for mood disorder, and clonidine 0.2 for insomnia. He has  motor ticks such as blinking his eyes ,shaking his head, twitching his shoulders,claps his hands or taps an object with his hands. He just started doing  a skipping thing when he walks. Is this a tic? All of the motor  tics i just mentioned are constant.   The vocal tics he makes are sniffing, clearing his throat, and humming. This really hard on him his doctor has tried other medicine to try and controll it  and nothing has worked. He started taking vyvanse about a month ago and it doesn't seem like it's working. He is very stressed about going back to school because the kids pick on him for this. It breaks my heart my child has to go through this. Is there a cure for ts? Is there any medication to control it? Can you plese give me information on support groups and kid groups with tourettes in the Lake Charles, LA area. Thanks for your time.
I am not a doctor, but a Mom with an 11 year old with TS.  I encourage you to go to Great Plains Laboratory's website and order their lab panel for Tourette Syndrome.  You would not believe the issues we discovered about my son's underlying health through these tests that were causing his tics.  Now he is totally off of his tic medicine and is controlling his symptoms through diet and supplements.  I would also encourage you to find a good environmental physician (go to the Academy of Environmental Physician's website to fine one in your area.  My son is so much healthier and happier than when he was on tic medicine (which never totally controlled his tics).   ACN's website www.latitudes.org is another great one.  Best of luck to you!!    
I have ts and a lot of other medical problems that come with it. Something that has REALLY helped me with my symptoms is Neurofeedback. It is a type of therapy where the doctor puts these electrodes to differnent parts or your head dependind on the part of the brain that needs to be relaxed or stimulated. This has done miracles for me. For my tics,depression, and anxiety. I recommend it.  
go up to your sons school and tell them your concerns about the DiSCRIMINATION your son is recieving.your son has the intelligence to learn just as the other kids do,he has a right to an uninteruppted learning environment just like any student.if they patronize you,and do nothing-kick up some dust.go to the board,news,-whatever it takes to increase awareness.the school should have a speaker(assembly)to educate themselves as well as the students.most schools have a zero tolerance for bullying-this could fall into that category.the school receives tax dollars for your child as well as the others.in this country our children have a right to an education.if your son is getting harassed,its simply because the schools staff is allowing it.dont accept the under funding-or budget excuse.dont accept any excuse.if the school sends the message harassment toward your child will not be tolerated,things should change rather quickly.put the pressure on-you have too,your son only has you.
I have heard about this lab but have not contacted them yet.  Does your child have genetic TS?  Sandy
Dear friend,

Sorry for your trials. Please check out Dr. Sims and Dr. Stacks appliance for Tourette's Syndrome.
I started a thread "Tourette's Cure - Worked for Me" on this site that outlines what it is, and give some links to academic papers and their website.

I have never actually dealt with them directly. An orthodontic specialist in BC, Canada did the appliance for me, and it worked beautifully.

I went from being overwhelmed by tics, to having, nearly, none. No medication, nothing.

hope it helps.
r
Unfortunately there isn't a cure yet TSA...tourette syndrome association...is workin on it though...go to their website and search for support groups in ur area...I have been in close contact with them over the yrs u see I am a 31 yr old who was diagnosed with TS at the age of 13...TSA is a great group they r helpfull and VERY compassionate & they truely care about us...good luck to u & ur family...I onw its hard but u can provail...God speed