Tourette Syndrome Community
Is this tourettes or transient tics?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Is this tourettes or transient tics?

My son is 6 years old and just started kindergarten (he missed the cut off last year.) He's been very healthy and socially active.  He well coordinated, good at spots, and doing well in school.  Just as we started school (which he seemed confident about going to) he started with a random noise that he makes.  It seems he makes it generally when he's excited about something but at other times as well.  We have no medical history in our families of tourettes.  After a few days he then switched his tic to rolling his eyes up and would do this frequently.  A few days have passed and he seems to be switching back and forth between doing the sound sometimes and an occasional eye roll.  I called our pediatrician, a few days ago when he was making the noise and he thought it sounded like a tic and based on his previous medical records and that he's socially active that autism spectrum disorder was ruled out.  I've read alot on the internet but keep waiting to understand if this is a phase and will go away or this just the beginning and how will I know if it's tourettes?  We are following up with the pediatrician at his annual appointment in early Oct but I think I just want to go ahead and schedule with a specialist as the waiting and unknowning is bothering me.  I feel like I don't know and need to know what's going on - or could it even be a symptom of lyme disease.  Any thoughts are appreciated?  Do these sound like signs of tourettes?

-Naomi
Sorry I've posted this twice...