Tourette Syndrome Community
Medications

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Medications

I have a 12 year old son with ADHD, Tourette's, & Aspergers - been on Intuniv for 4 years, no issues. Insurance is no longer going to cover his medication & I have to consider changing to Tenex or Clonidine - or attempt to wean him off meds altogether. Any thoughts?
My son was on Guanfacine, which is the generic name for Intuniv, for 2 yrs and he did wonderfully! That was several years ago, then he went off treatment because it was no longer made in Europe. He did okay for another 3 yrs without meds (only very mild tics), but recently with puberty has gotten much worse. So doc gives him Risperdal--bad stuff! I don't know if other people have had positive results with antipsychotics, but for my son it made his tics explode and he became insomniac! I weaned him slowly off, and now he can sleep, but the tics persist.  Just to let you know, the Guanfacine was sold in Europe for 3€ a box of 30 pills, I was told by my parents that in US it was 120$---WTF???  these pharmaceutical companies are real bastards, the reason they quit making it here was because there wasn't enough profit on it!  I hope all has turned out well for your son since your post in 2014.