Aa
A
A
Close
Medications
I have a 12 year old son with ADHD, Tourette's, & Aspergers - been on Intuniv for 4 years, no issues. Insurance is no longer going to cover his medication & I have to consider changing to Tenex or Clonidine - or attempt to wean him off meds altogether. Any thoughts?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
17218185 tn?1454681273
My son was on Guanfacine, which is the generic name for Intuniv, for 2 yrs and he did wonderfully! That was several years ago, then he went off treatment because it was no longer made in Europe. He did okay for another 3 yrs without meds (only very mild tics), but recently with puberty has gotten much worse. So doc gives him Risperdal--bad stuff! I don't know if other people have had positive results with antipsychotics, but for my son it made his tics explode and he became insomniac! I weaned him slowly off, and now he can sleep, but the tics persist.  Just to let you know, the Guanfacine was sold in Europe for 3€ a box of 30 pills, I was told by my parents that in US it was 120$---WTF???  these pharmaceutical companies are real bastards, the reason they quit making it here was because there wasn't enough profit on it!  I hope all has turned out well for your son since your post in 2014.
Comment
Cancel
17218185 tn?1454681273
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Tourette Syndrome Community Resources