Tourette Syndrome Community
Motor Tic Disorder or more?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Motor Tic Disorder or more?

I am a 28 year old female.  A year and a half ago I began having tics.  These started from my right shoulder and progressed to included my whole body, though my upper body is mainly affected.  I went to a Neurologist who referred me to a Movement Specialist and was told that I most likely had Chronic Motor Tic Disorder.  Ok, that was fine.  But recently I've deveolped another tic, a sharp intake of breath.  It's like being under water or being suffocated then you're able to get your head up and you open your mouth and take a deep breath, that's what it sounds like.  Just imagine sitting in the quiet congregation on Sunday and hearing me sucking in air and dropping my Bible because I can't sit still!  haha  

There is no pain (except for muscle soreness due to the tics) and I have no difficulty breathing.  I'm just wondering if this could possibly be something else or if this is just a new aspect of the Motor Tic Disorder.  If you have any ideas or similar experiences please let me know.
Hi, I've recently been really stressed at work and have had a couple of panic attacks. I've also been suffering from this exact tic, exactly as you described it! It's been happening for at least 6 months though I didn't recognise it for what it was at first - I was going through an asthma diagnosis and just put it down to this. It has definitly gotten worse over the last few weeks. I don't have any other tics, but I do have urges to take skin off my fingers, along the sides of my nails. I started carrying round a stress ball in the hope of curing it and have even started taking the covering off it! How do you cope with/control your tics? I've never suffered before and am feeling quite self conscious!
Control is an ongoing issue.  It's difficult but at times I can ease them.  However, if I do that then they will come back stronger later.  I've had this for 3 years now and I will tell you that your attitude goes a long way to helping you deal with it.  The more self-conscious you are the worse you will feel and, most likely, the worse your tics/urges will be.  I've got a great support system and I've learned to laugh at myself.  My mom made these little cards that I can give to people at restaurants or anyone who's around me in public that say that I have a movement disorder that makes me laugh and make jerky movements but they can just laugh along with me.  It's amazing how many people pay little to no attention to me after they know what's wrong.  It's good for them to know so they won't be surprised if I yell and good for me because I'm less self-conscious.  I hope you find some relief and help...I know it's hard, but don't let it stress you out even more.  
Hi, thanks for your reply. My niece has TS and I've spent a long time talking it tthrough with her. Of course, my problem is nothing as to hers, but she has helped me to feel better about it. We have even started to laugh when the timing of my tics causes it - such as when she forgot her keys and I happened to tic very loudly. You're right, laughing does help, and I have started telling people I have a nervous tic so they can laugh with me.

I know that this particular tic is due to stress - I have just been signed off work for 2wks with anxiety - but have noticed that it's now developing. It started out more like a sob, although felt exactly as you described. Now, more often than not, it is a proper gasp, like I'm shocked or amazed.

Did your chronic tic disorder begin as a reaction to something such as stress, and if so, at what point did you go to the doctor? I've had panic attacks before, but never a tic. If it doesn't stop over the couple of weeks I'm off work, or develops again, do you think I should be checking it with my gp?
My doctors have suggested stress because they can't find a physical reason but I'm not 100% sold on that yet.  I will admit that I was stressed, in fact I quit my job because of it.  It was 6 months later that these tics started.  I know stress can do crazy things to you but I just don't think I was so stressed that it could cause this and then have it continue for 3 years with no end in sight.  At first it was only my shoulder jerking and it only happened a few times a week...I was able to hide it.  I did not go to my gp until 8 months after it started because it had gotten so bad I could no longer hide it.  My insurance will not cover anything connected with this issue because they consider it a "mental disorder" so I have only been to see the specialists 3 times (pay off the 1st bill then make another appointment...)

But, yes, I would definately go to see your gp if it does not get better and continues to progress.  Maybe they can give you something that will relax you so you don't get so stressed.  I hope this time off work will help you.  It's good that you've got your niece to talk to, someone who can relate and understand what you're going through.
I am 27.  when i was 17 I started to twitch my head and found out it was tourettes.  I control it but its like an itch i have to scratch.  Over the past 10 years my OCD has gotten very bas as well.  I recently started having panic attacks and my doctor put me on fluoxetine.  It is supposed to help with tourettes, ocd and anxiety.  I have just started taking it and you up your amount every 2 weeks until it starts helping.  You may want to look into this, ill let you know if it helps me.