Nervous tic disorders
My 12yo daughter has stuttered on and off since she was 5.  She also has had various tics, including eye rolling, jaw movements, finger sniffing and twitching.  Those tics haven't been noticed in a few years, however the stuttering has continued at various degrees.  She often gets stuck on a word or letter and her chin goes down to her right shoulder and she makes a strained face until she gets the word out or gives up.  She has been in and out of speech therapy for the last 7 years and we have noticed little improvement.  Her stutter is getting worse and it is really starting to bother to her now.  We have tried counseling with a psychologist who specializes in Tourettes, Aspberger and nervous tic disorders, and saw no improvement.  She controlled the stutter in his presence and we have never noticed it being worse during stressful moments.  We don't know what to do now.  She will be starting junior high in a few months and we are very concerned.  We need help!
I have no experience in this other than that I have epilepsy and know a bit about epilepsy medications- but in reading about them I have found that some epilepsy medications have been successful in treating tics. This sounds like it is not so much a speech or psychological problem at all but more of a neurological problem. Try a neurologist and try some anti-epileptic meds, most are harmless in any case and couldn't hurt to try for a while. Good Luck :D