Tourette Syndrome Community
Off and on Tics

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Off and on Tics

My son developed an eye blinking tic when my husband took on a new job and started working really long hours in January 2008 (just turned 3).  It lasted about a month and was off and on.  A couple of months later, when he started t-ball, he did the blink one time and didn't see anything again for about 4 months.  I don't remember the stress factor, but he suddenly developed a throat clearing tic that lasted about a month and went away.  January 2010, my husband went back to work after a 6 month layoff and the throat tic is back with a vengence!  My pediatriction doesn't seemed the least bit concerned because the tics seem to only come with high levels of stress or change and they went away completely for 7-8 months at a time.  This time the throat tic has been going on for 2 months straight. It has already been a year of change; new job, my sister is pregnant, he is being disciplined more at karate and I have panic disorder which I believe he probably picks up on my panic.

Do you think this is more of a nervous tic, or signs of more?  I appreciate your thoughts.
Considering the sporadic nature of your son's tics and his young age, I would trust the doctor and try to reduce the stress as much as possible to see if his tics go away. At this point there isn't much else you can do but just wait and see.