Tourette Syndrome Community
STRESS

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

STRESS

My Son is 11 1/2 he was dx at the age of 7 with facial tics and tourettes. He started Junior High this year and his Facial Tics seem to be out of control very much making his transition very hard for him to concentrate on anything. His facial movements are every few seconds not any breaks in between.  I am not sure how to handle this do I take him back to the Dr or just wait it out and give it sometime for him to adjust. He take Tenex but I think it is not helping him anymore. What does a parent do?
Your child should not have to suffer like this I would definatley take him back to the docs, at his age you could probably ask him what he wants to do. Perhaps his meds need changing, I dont know enough about tourettes but maybe they are not working anymore with the additional stress of the new school. Good Luck and I hope things work out for you and your son.
I have Tourette Syndrome. My first tics were at the age of 5. I kept on gulping, then it spread out to scrunching my nose, rolling my eyes, and jerking my neck and hitting my stomach. I was diagnosed when I was 13, because of some issues are family had, we couldn't go earlier. The ealier you catch the TS the more help you can get, the more help you can get the more you can work with the tics.
here is a web site I made: isthistourette.web.com
and my youtube is: youtube.com/user/isthistourettes
they both have info about my tics and on youtube you can see them!!
:)
good luck!!
my website has some stratigies i use with my teachers, this year i started high school, so i can relate alot to your son. If he wants to talk to me, he can send me a message on youtube and i will reply or he can email me at ***@****
my tics were very bad and still are. especially since im in a class with people that are older than me. What I find very!! helpful is when the teachers understand!!