Tourette Syndrome Community
Tics in 6 year old boy

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Tics in 6 year old boy

My son has just started showing a strange movement of neck (shrug it sort of) along with twitching mouth to one side. It lasts for a second and is more when he is reading or eating. He is fine while playing outdoors. It just started 2 days ago and I am observing him more to see what other activities aggravate or reduce it. He probably does it once a minute at worst and once every 5-10 minutes at best. Is this tic or something else? What icould be the cause and cure here? Please help.
Tags: tic, neck shake
I am a 37 year old with Tourette Syndrome.  Tics started when I was 7 years old.  Diagnosed at 10.  It's called a "syndrome" because there is no way to test to see if you have it or not.  A neurologist looks at the symptoms displayed and makes a judgment.  Generally, if there's a combination of vocal and motor tics, with at least one "compound" tic (executing multiple tics in a specific order), the threshold is met to make the diagnosis.

I am currently on 25 mg/day of Seroquel.  This drug has been a miracle for me as it has taken away the urge to tic while not having any unwanted side affects, such as drowsiness.  If your son is diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome, ask the neurologist about Seroquel.

There's something else you should know about Tourette Syndrome.  The tics are considered "non voluntary" responses to an "itch" which builds up over time.  The only way to clear the itch is by executing the tic(s).  It's nearly impossible not to tic especially in public situations where the Touretter tends to feel very anxious about the impending tic, which only makes the "itch" worse.

I hope this helps!!