Tics sollution ...
Hi...i want to know more about the tic disorder. i met this guy (22) on my holidays and we began going out. he does almost everything like other normal humanbeing will do but i belive he is suffering from tics. his signs are troat clearing,moving his mouth and neck and at times bringing his hand next to his forehead. i seem to have no problem with him because i tried to separate these tics from the person because on the other side he is very humble, too caring, cute and loves me very much...now im in UK and his in India.as far as i know these tics shoud have stopped when he was young. he said he been shown to the doctor when he was young and every report was normal. i think they never found out correctly abt tic disorder and so as given wrong medication. i forced him to strt wth the treatment again and he is seeing the doctor again but they have not given any medication yet as all the reports came normal again. i really want to help him and be with him forever but becase only of his tics my family is strictly agaist him. i dont want to loose a person like him. i heard the medication which might work in UK but i dont knw abt India cause i never  had this situation before. Pls help!
Tics are so hard to understand.  Rest assured, they are not contagious.  But, there may be a genetic link.  The majority of people with tics or Tourette's have a mild case and don't require medication for treatment.  My sweet daughter developed tics when she was only 4 years old and a dx of Tourette's was determined when she was 5.  Tourette's and tic disorders does not affect intellect, mental stability or overall health.  There is no known cause or cure at this point in time.  But, strep infection has been implicated in some cases of tic disorders and I personally believe it may be a reason why tic disorders develop.  

There aren't any great treatments for tic disorders.  Getting enough sleep and alleviating stress are two things that help keep tics at a minimum.  Sometimes, medications like antidpressants or seizure meds are prescribed to help with tics.  But, these come with side effects and aren't necessarily going to give 100% relief.  

From your post, I think you have two issues here.  You need to decide what you want to do in regards to your relationship with this man and you need to know that this disorder is real. If you feel he is right for you, then nothing your family says should be able to keep you away.  Families are not always right in there thoughts and opinions.  You will have a greater chance your child can have a tic disorder, but the chance is very small.  In my opinion, it is not worth letting go of a great man just because of an unknown risk.  If your family is able to have that much control now, your marriage will be doomed anyway.  You have to know that when you are married you join with your spouse and become a family with him.  

Your man is not crazy or making up the tics.  It is real and out of his control (like a sneeze).  I hope you find some peace in your decision about what to do about this relationship.  It is hard to understand tic disorders.  But, it is real and really doesn't change the wonderful person you know.  

Best Wishes,

Shelly