Tourette Syndrome Community
Tics

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Tics

Hi everyone,
I'm 22 years old and I've been experiencing tics for most of my life. I can't remember exactly when they started but I did suffer a great amount of head trauma as a chid. On one occasion, which is when I believe the tics first surface my head was slammed into the side of a car. I've gone through a whole list of uncomfortable tics, from vocal tics, grunting, neck stretching, blinking, eye rolling, shaking, and more recently hand tremours.

I spent some time reading through most of the forums before deciding to partcipate. I too have notice that my tics do get worse with the weather, I used to have allergies and as the weather changed my tics progressed along with my allergies and when the weather is cold they seem to be at their worse. I've struggled through body issues/weight control for most of my life and did notice that I twitched less when I was weighing in at a lighter weight but they never are completely gone. I've aslo notice that they get really bad If I am stressed or angry, this year has been one of my worst physically and emotionally which I believe has lead to some of my weight gain and maybe triggered the consistant uncontrollable tics. I've worked in some form of customer service since I was 15, I used to be able to surpress my tics nearly for whole days but as soon as I was on my own they would let loose. On a more recent and personal note, I have noticed that I do not twitch or tic at all during sex or exercise. I believe that because of the amount of endorphins being realsed during both activities paralyzes or balances out whatever is making me tic.

Over the years I have visted a couple of doctors but have never been able to exactly pinpoint a cause or a treatment. My former family doctor once believed i was having a serious of uncompleted seizure cycles throughout the day but as I grew older and the more I was involved socially I saw my doctor less and less and surpressed them as much as I could. On my 18th birthday I had visted a neurologist that wanted to start me on a low dose of haldol to treat the tics but my mom that was just recovering from throat cancer was entirely againsted the idea and doctors in general. I returned to the same doctor a little later without my mom but he was concerned the ADD medication (Adderall (adderrall))  was perscribed would interfere with the haldol and actually onset my tics. I had originally decided to go without both and dealt with the tics on my for a while longer. Sometime between 18-19 I did end up taking adderall (adderrall) and contrary to what the doctor thought the adderall (adderrall) did not make me tic no more than normal and on some occasions would pause my tics for great periods of time because i was simply too focused on something else. During my course of adderall (adderrall) my doctor had switched me to concerta which infact did make me twitch heavily and was very tiring and hurtful to my body so I immediately quit taking them.

As of late, my tics have been getting progressively worse, noticelbe and quite frankly very embarassing. At some point my manager had pulled me aside and asked me If i was alright where I had to explain the siuation and inform them of the problem I had been hiding for years. She too had admitted to never noticing the tics until this year and I have been working for the same business for six years. They have become very disruptive and concerning in my life and I am desperately looking for help. I had purchased a book "Natural Treatments for Tourettes and tics" which I read cover to cover hoping to relate and find some piece in the book. My mom has generally been very patient and helpful with my tics but some days I can tell it does bother her. She had purchased me several bottles of 'Burdoch Root' which is a natural supplement that someone reccommended as a way to treat or lessen my tics. I've also been told the metal fillings in my mouth could be a cause of the most frequent episodes I've been having. that the metal fillings release mercury in my blood casing an imbalance and triggering the tics. More recently my mom too has resorted to medical boards in hopes to ease my tics and has recently been pointed in the direction of 'THC' pills. Mentioned in the book it had also commented on nutiritional diets playing a hand in tics of any kind which I nearly stand behind because as I said i believe I ticked less with a little less weight on me. I found the burdoch root to be uneffective and have dental procedures scheduled this december to remove and replace my metal fillings. As far as the THC pills go they are very hard to recieve without your Medical card and I am not entirely open as is.

I've wanted to be a dentist for as long as I can remember, and am currently working my way through college with the hopes of attending dental school within the next few years. However with my most recent tics being the hand tremors, and the tics to have only proven to be progressive, I'm scared I will never be able to become a dentist or anything remotely close.

I'm desperately looking for answers, if anyone has any tricks or remedies or has been sucessfully treated PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE respond.