Tourette Syndrome Community
Tourettes and Medication to help

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Tourettes and Medication to help

I hav been suffering with tourettes since I was a teenage.  Back then it was the usual face twiches and making vocal noises.  The noices subsided during my adolences.  However I'm 43 uears old and my tourettes is severe.  I can't keep my eyes open at work because I'm blinking my eyes so much to try to controll my breathing.  I'm constantly clearing my thorught, making noices with my throat and facial ticks.  this is drying me crazy.  I went to see a neurologist and he prescribed haldol which doesn't seem to be working after 4 days.  I suffer from insomnia and take ambien and mirtazapin and it really doesn't help me sleep.  however,  about 5 mins after taking the sleeping meds my ticks commpletely go away and I can carry on a normal conversation.  I don't get drowsy from the night mends and have been taking them during the day to control my ticks wiht sucess.  The haldo doesn't give me any relieft but dr said it might take 3 to 4 weeks to see results.  This is interferring with my work and my co-workers with the noises I make.  I see my physicrist on 10/17/12 to get put on Clonapin which has helped me sleep in the past so I'm hoping that does the trick.  If not, I will contnue to take the sleeping meds during the day to control my tics and colapin at night for my insomna.  From a medical standpoint what healt risk do I run takin the meds this way.  I can't even go out to social functions because my tourettes is so bad I don't like being in front of people.  Pleas let me knwo my # 727-488-2399 and e-mail ***@****.  Lost and Confusion and Frustrated.