Tourette Syndrome Community
alcohol and tourette's

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

alcohol and tourette's

I have tourrette's and to be honest, whenever I drink, my motor tics (I blink a lot and shake my head a bit) seem to bother me the lease. Even when I just have a few beers and have a little buzz going, I hardly notice them at all. I've even done some experimenting where before I start drinking, I'll notice myself needing to twitch quite often. Then I'll have like 2 beers, I'll find myself not feeling the urge to tic at all. I'm seeing my Neurologist in a few days and I'm most likely going to be trying a new medication because the one I'm on now isn't working. Should I mention how when I drink, my tics almost go away completely? OBVIOUSLY I'm not going to ask him to prescribe alcohol to me haha. I'm just thinking that maybe if he knows that certain chemical properties in alcohol help reduce my tics, it could help him narrow in on a medication that potentially has similar properties. Think this would be worth bringing up when I see him? Or would I sound like a complete idiot by mentioning this? And I'm aware of the dangers of mixing alcohol and certain med. The one I'm currently on is okay to do so as long as I'm not going overboard.

I also have a mild form of tourettes, occasional twitches etc. I know exactly what you mean. I also find that I dont get them as much when I drink - or is it that I dont notice im doing it? Has anybody ever noticed and mentioned that your not doing it as much when you drink?

Definatley worth mentioning to the doc, it cant do any harm. I currently take 1.5mg of Haloperidol. Mainly once at night before bed although I increase the doseage if i find its getting worse. They are quite strong though, i woundnt take them before drinking more than a few beers.
Alcohol reduces certain muscle controls in the brain and nervous system. It also induces a relaxed state of mind. Most people with Tourettes are "on the go" all the time and by drinking a few beers you unwind enough to reduce the Tics. The alcohol allows the brain to slow down therefore slwoing down the Tics, still wonder if they could harness this property in a pill?
I am 37 have very bad Tourettes and after trying over 40 different medications can say there really isn't much that does help, it depends on how you decide the side effects affect your life I guess.
Time for a beer or two.
My son was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome at 5 years old he is now 25.A study has actually been done using one of the ingredients from marijuana to help with tics apparently it worked and the last I heard they are trialling a pill with this ingredient in it.

Denise