Tourette Syndrome Community
does my son have a motor tick and tourettes??

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

My son is now 7. He has made flapping movements since he was sitting at about 8 months. He makes a couple of different noises. It has progressed to wringing of the hands, lifting his elbow above his head and we have noticed when he is effected strongly his right eye goes right into the corner. He is a pretty clumsy child and is verbally very intelligent although he rushes when he talks. His writing at school just isn't progressing he can't seem  to get the pencil to do as he wants it to. Children at school do  notice but he is such a lovely boy that it doesn't bother him as much as it would most kids, at the moment. He is also very sensitive and emotional and worries that he will do the wrong thing and get into trouble. He has seen an epilepsy specialist for the last three years and that has been ruled out. He is now seeing a new dr and she says preliminarly that it might be motor ticks although she is concerned it has possibly connections to dystonia. My son is lovely, polite, kind and hilariously funny but im confused and worried.
This is interesting. Is he social? He has been doing these repetitive movements since 18 mos? Has anyone talked to you about the possiblility of ASperger's. It is just a label, don't worry. I work with this group and it sounds like your guy is VERY intelligent and sweet. I would suggest having him evaluated by the school OT. Make sure that you state that you want a sensory evaluation also. It is your right to ask for any evaluation and it should be free to you. If the school can not provide it for you then they should send you to someone who cam=n and pay for it. My son has TOurettes and he has always had some sensory needs, Mostly push and pull stuff that he liked the most.
His tics began at age 7. He didn't really have any before that. IT has been difficult adjusting to the tics.
For all of us.
I would love to help more. I am a special educator and have a lot of experience from ages birth - adult.
Mary