Tourette Syndrome Community
how unusual is this?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

how unusual is this?

my son who is 8 has several symptoms-facial tic-grimace,out burst,touching or picking at things,repitition,without a doubt,he will be eventually diagnosed with some type of organic problem,rather then strictly behavioral.my question:why do the schools as well as some in the medical community do not pay close attention themselves to what parents try to tell them?why are the children assumed to have a character defect of some kind rather then a medical problem?whats the stigma all about?do they want to rule out behavior problems first as a better case senario?if so doesnt this delay early treatment for those children who have to wait for there diagnosis?
I have Tourette Syndrome. My first tics were at the age of 5. I kept on gulping, then it spread out to scrunching my nose, rolling my eyes, and jerking my neck and hitting my stomach. I really think you son has tourette syndrome. I would take him to the neuro. Some children are diagnosed as early a 2 years old. I was diagnosed when I was 13, because of some issues are family had, we couldn't go earlier. The ealier you catch the TS the more help you can get, the more help you can get the more you can work with the tics.
here is a web site I made: isthistourette.web.com
and my youtube is: youtube.com/user/isthistourettes
they both have info about my tics and on youtube you can see them!!
:)
good luck!!