vocal tic
My 4 yr old son has experienced a vocal tic (Throat clearing) since he was two. His tic is constant all day but does have short periods of tic free. He has recently started facial grimincing as well. The vocal tic is extremly loud and has started to cause him distress. His grandfather has tourettes including a vocal and motor tic alongside ocd. With the close family history we are concerned our son may also have tourettes and are awaiting to see a specialist. In the meantime our son starts school in sept how can we help to reduce his distress regarding the tic and is it ok for him to spend a long time on the computer as currently his tics lesson only when he is on the computer. He has also had speech therapy for oral dsypraxia since age 2. He is a happy, confident and bright boy we have no concerns redarding his learning development. Sometimes he experiences extreme hyperactivity and his tic is much worse during this episodes. Thank you for any help, advice.
I have Tourette Syndrome. My first tics were at the age of 5. I kept on gulping, then it spread out to scrunching my nose, rolling my eyes, and jerking my neck and hitting my stomach. I really think you son has tourette syndrome. I would take him to the neuro. Some children are diagnosed as early a 2 years old. I was diagnosed when I was 13, because of some issues are family had, we couldn't go earlier. The ealier you catch the TS the more help you can get, the more help you can get the more you can work with the tics.
here is a web site I made: isthistourette.web.com
and my youtube is: youtube.com/user/isthistourettes
they both have info about my tics and on youtube you can see them!!
:)
good luck!!