After Transplant Help Please
My mother, 62 had a living donor transplant on November 14, 2013 due to hepatitis C from blood transfusion in 1980  Non smoker, no drugs or drinking. She had alot of complications during surgery.  Donor liver experienced trama and cracked. Nov 15 hypotic artery clotted and they were able to reopen. 3 weeks after transplant liver tests are normal.  Alkthosthatase levels went from 225 Dec 4 to 543 Dec 6 and 1543 YES 1543 on Jan 6. Jan 3 removed 3 stint from bile ducts no blockage.
ALT was 30 on Dec 18 upto 163 Jan2 and 152 Jan 6  AST was 26 Dec 18 140 Jan2 and 117 Jan 6  Billrubin total was 0.9 Dec 21 went to 1.3 Jan 6.  Ultra sound on Jan 2 revealed low blood flow to liver.  Did a ballon to stretch blood flow returned to normal  Biopsy and bile ducts Normal and no sign of rejection yet all test level are well outside normal levels.  Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, help.
Dr sent her home uncertain of what could be causing this.  Very frusterated and worried.
Shawna
My husband had his liver transplant in June, 2012. His was a deceased donor liver. He has had basically every complication you described that your mother has had including the hepatic artery blockage resulting in permanent bilary tree damage. They had stents in for a while in his bile ducts but they removed them because he developed a bacterial infection and he was diagnosed with primary cholangitis. That was in March, 2013.
    I am sorry to tell you that a recent liver biopsy shows his new liver now has cirrhosis. They said it is the result of the bile duct problems and the recurrent Hep C.They are going to treat his Hep C with Solvaldi + ribavirin for 24 weeks hopefully later this month. Clearing this virus is very important because should he eventually need a new transplant, it will not be an option if he has Hep C.
    I don't think this has been a very positive response for you but I am a strong believer that knowledge is power.  I think its important for you to know what has happened to my husband since his case is so similar to your mother's case. Hopefully you will have some information now to help her.

I wish you and your Mom the best.
Nan535
Thank you for your reaponse and information. I feel your pain it has been one step forward 20 back during this whole process. We knew it wouldnt be easy but everything that could go wrong and more have. Very frusterating indeed. Really appreciate the insite. Knowledge is defenitly power and the more questions you ask the possibilities open up. May i ask how your husband is doing now?
Shawna
He is doing well right now. He started getting symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy again in April and by June he needed to be hospitalized for it. Talk about one step forward and 20 steps back! I know exactly what you mean.  They started him on lactulose again and now he's taking Xifaxin along with lactulose. It is keeping him stable and we're having some peace right now just waiting for the Hep C treatment to begin. God willing he will be free of this virus soon. At worst, his liver will get a break from this virus at least for the time he's on treatment. There is another medicine on the horizon (expected late 2014) that has a 90+ cure rate in the trials. Hopefully your mother will be ready by then for treatment.
We have no way of predicting what lies ahead but he is alive thanks to the gift he received from a young woman and her family who made the decision to donate her organs. My husband appreciates that opportunity for life and will continue to fight and hopefully one day he will be healthy again and be able to enjoy life fully again.
Please stay in touch and let me know how your mom is doing.
Take care.  
Big hug,
Nan
You may want to follow this thread also.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Post-liver-transplant-and-new-12-wk-triple-therapy/show/2075321
I had a live liver transplant in 2009. The only complication I experienced was from my bile duct clogging up and the stent/ERCP procedures took care of that.
Really, these issues are too complex for me to respond to knowledgeably.
Do know that the first year post transplant is the hardest.

Don't hesitate to write down all your questions and ask the transplant team for answers !

Good luck.