Transplants Community
Alcoholism post SPK transplant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Alcoholism post SPK transplant

My friend received an SPK transplant a couple years ago.  He was an alcoholic for many years, but did not disclose this information to the doctors.  Following the transplant, he has continued to drink heavily, consuming several drinks most evenings to the point of intoxication and throwing up.  What are the implications for transplant success?
Hi!  I received my SKP in 2002 and the "kids" are doing great despite their new owner.  I was never an ideal diabetic and am certainly not as a transplant recipient.  I have learned that no two people are the same and that you can't change anyone but yourself.  I suspect that your friend's drs know about his drinking because he is suppose to go to the lab for blood and urine testing every two months (at least that's my protocol).  It is my understanding that as long as he is following the drug protocol established by the K/P team, he should be fine.  The alcohol gets filtered through the liver (not the kidney).  The drugs I take are also filtered through the liver.  If he takes that same drugs I do, again, both the kidney and pancreas should be fine.  Can't speak for the liver though - if he keeps going like that, he may need a liver transplant.  The alcohol does not affect the pancreas.

I suspect that he is the typical diabetic personality of a mixture of depression, anger and frustration.  There's no cure for that.  Therapy helps but you have to want to change.  Personally, I get it if he doesn't.  I have every single complication a diabetic can get including lymphoma thanks to the drugs I take to keep my new organs working.

Best wishes for both you and your friend.  I sympathize with you as it's hard to watch someone self destruct.