Transplants Community
Cellcept causing miscarriage - Liver transplant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Good day

My wife had a liver transplant 4 years ago. She is currently on Cellcept (1000mg/day) and prograf and clexane.

We are trying to become pregnant, but she has had two miscairrages in the past 5 months.

The docters say it is because of the cellcept and I saw on the FDA that this drug should be avoided when trying to conceive.

My question is: Is there no other drug that can be used?
My husband had a liver transplant in June, 2012. He was only given given prograf and prednisone immediately following the transplant. The prednisone was stopped after 3 months and he continues only taking 0.5 mg 2x daily of prograf 10 months later.

I would suggest you discuss this matter with your wife's hepatologist and surgeon to see if her  drugs can be changed.

I wish you and your wife the best in your quest to become parents.

Nan