Creatinine high
Dear Sir,
   I have completed 3yrs after liver transplant. My creatinine level is ~1.7 for last 1.5year. Prograf dose is reduced to 0.5mg BD, and tac level is 6.3. Mycophenolet can not be used beacuse it causes leucopenia.
Docotor is thinking to switch to Sirolimus. But with Sirolimus I see this warning.
"    The safety and efficacy of Rapamune (sirolimus) as immunosuppressive therapy have not been established in liver or lung transplant patients, and therefore, such use is not recommended [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
    Liver Transplantation – Excess Mortality, Graft Loss, and Hepatic Artery Thrombosis (HAT)"

Do you think it is safe to use sirolimus?
Thanks and regards,
pbala
I guess the appropriate question is  - why does your doctor want to switch you to Sirolimus?  Is it because of the creatanine being at 1.7?  My husband is a liver transplant patient (June, 2012). His creatanine fluctuates most of the time between 1.6 and 2.0. He too is taking 0.5 mg of prograf.

I found this quote on this webpage:
"Sirolimus may cause serious side effects or death in patients who have had liver or lung transplants. This medication should not be given to prevent rejection of liver or lung transplant".
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a602026.html

I think you should definitely discuss your concerns of this safety warning with your doctor.  It would not be the first time a doctor has made a mistake. They are human after all.

Nan

Based on this, I would probably