Transplants Community
Drug use post transplant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Drug use post transplant

My husband is 4 years post transplant. He has   severe neuropathy due to HCV. His dr's have chosen not to treat the HCV because his liver is doing very well. The HCV is  currently >6,000,000. I know this doesn't really mean anything, other than the neuropathy and a general feeling of fatigue and frequent fevers and the neuropathy. He has experienced several falls due to the numbness in his legs and feet, resulting in broken ribs, and  arms and shoulder. He has a great deal of pain mostly due to the neuropathy, but also the broken bones. His dr has put him on a high dosage of fentanyl, as well as dilaudid for breakthrough pain. He takes 2  two mg. xanax for insomnia. He is prescribed 2 four  mg. dilaudid daily. I recently learned he was injecting the dilaudid. I am extremely concerned   and feel helpless. He was a drug addict for many years, but was clean 15 years prior to transplant. I want to know what this drug use now is doing to his liver, even though the liver function test are O.K. They do raise occasionally, but never enough for dr's to be concerned. He also takes 1800 mg daily of neurontin for the neuropathy. Neurologist says the only cure for the neuropathy is treatment for the HCV. His hepatologist wants to wait for new drugs. This situation is growing worse daily, My husband says if I tell his transplant dr about the drug use he will leave. Do you have any suggestions or advice?  Thanks for your help.