Hepatitis C After Liver Transplant
Hello Everyone!  My name is Valerie and I have recurrent Hep C after liver transplant.  I would love to hear from anyone that has recurrent HCV and how you are doing physically and especially emotionally.  My transplant was in August 2003 and I just passed my five-year anniversary.  In another week, I will have my fifth year biopsy and tests.  Last year I was diagnosed as being Grade 1, Stage 2.  I hope I have stayed at the same level.  However, it is hard for me to think about.  When I think about the disease it makes me very depressed because I know that I will have to go through the same tough years as I did before transplant.  It seems my life is "on hold," just waiting to see what this tragic virus does to me again.  This kinda sounds like I'm whining, but...I put myself in GOD's hands and it is HIM that keeps me going and doing.  The transplant was a GOD-send.  I know I was truly blessed to receive a new liver and I try to tell my story to anyone who will listen.  If anyone wants to know about the "Miracle of a Transplant," please write to me.  God Bless!
Hi and welcome...I myself did not have a TP but my husband did and he also has HCV, His HCV returned only 6 months post TP and he had to begin Interferon TX before he was fully recovered from the TP. He is currently in week 58 of (at least) a  72 week course of TX. Been very sick,  but able to have a fairly normal life up unitl aboout week 48, he's now struggling a litlt, but we too are putting it in God;s hands.
Did you treat the HCV prior to your TP? If not, are you planning on treating it sometime in the near future? The best support for that is on the Hepatitis C Forum, probably the social side. A lot of great people there to support you thru the TX. And several TP pateints too.
I agree, my hubby's TP was a miracle and we do not take for granted each day. His liver is in great shape and if he clears the virus he should be in better health than he has had for years,
This TP forum is pretty quiet...try the Hep C one. Lots more chat going on!
Best to you,
Liz
PS-My husband posts under the name "Walrus"
I was transplanted in June of 2000. I treated 3 times and on the third I extended treatment and, for the first time, I was dosed at full dosages of interferon and ribavirin. I cleared and am SVR. I stopped treatment in June 2004. And as James Brown sang "I feel good". Good luck to you. Mike
I am currently treating for HCV post transplant (TP in 2006). Can't say I have that "James Brown" feelin' yet, but hope to be there soon. Love to hear more from you as you go.

Keep the faith,
Brent