Liver transplant
My husband had a liver transplant 10 months ago. Everything went very well, his Drs were even very surprised at how well he did after surgery and we actually went home within 3 weeks post op!  Now that we are home, he DID develop a hernia prior to his transplant that they wanted to fix during transplant, however, changed their minds. So he now has a hernia in which they just did a CT scan for in order to go ahead with fixing it. Let me add, he was found at his  6 month post transplant visit to Vanderbilt by his Dr to have  nodules on his right lung, which we just learned 2-3 weeks ago are calcifications most likely caused by asbestos from his Post while in the Marines, he was A guard at a bunker full of nuclear material.  A pulmonologist in Birmingham, we live in Alabama, told us not to worry about it, there is no treatment and he should be fine as far as his lung goes. Do you agree? The rest of my question is stemming from the results of the newest CT scan... The radiologist listed 7 findings, and we are very confused. Do you mind giving us your interpretation of this scan and what you believe needs to happen next for the best results? I would be so very thankful for you to do so. We have had to use the VA, my husbands NASH began to take its toll just as he was laid off from a very longstanding, well paying job, and we had never been a day without their insurance, until we truly needed it.... The VA..... They try but they are just too busy I suppose, we just don't get the care he needs there. So please help us to understand what we may be facing..... Thank you so very much !!!!!

Exam Date 2/19/14  13:26
Procedure Name:  CT ABDOMEN W/ CONT
Clinical History
History of a previous liver transplant and an umbilical hernia.
Impression:

1. Moderate size right pleural effusion,which is of uncertain etiology.
  Clinical correlation is recommended.
2.  Coronary artery atherosclerosis.
3.  Mild circumferential thickening of the distal esophagus , which may be secondary to esophagitis.  Clinical correlation recommended.
4. Moderate sized fat containing umbilical hernia.
5. Mild splenomegaly and multiple small varices, which may be secondary to sequela of portal hypertension.
6. The prostate gland is enlarged. Clinical correlation, as well as, correlation with PSA recommended.
7. Mild colonic diverticulosis without evidence of diverticulitis.
Plan: alerting team of abnormal CT, recommending clinical correlation.
Sorry for the length of this, we r desperate for another Dr to tell us his opinion of this scan. Thank you for your time and caring!
Christy K.
How is your husband?  Are there symptoms present? There seems to be a pleural effusion or fluid in his lungs and may warrant further  evaluation by his doctor. If he has hypertension, it is important that his blood pressure is controlled. Other conditions seen include atherosclerosis in the coronary artery, thickening of the esophagus, mild enlargement of the spleen, enlarged prostate gland, and mild colonic diverticulois. Additional tests like PSA, or endoscopies may be done also. It is best that you discuss the results also with his attending physician for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.