Liver vs swelling
Hello- I am a 29 year old female who has cirrhosis of the liver due to heavy drinking and use of tylonel pm in my early 20s. I have since been to a rehabilitation facility and and happy to be sober for 6 months. My doctor has told me that I will be needing a transplant within 5 years. He is a newer doctor since my hospital stay 6 months ago and is checking into my updated lab results. My case is very severe because I also had a massive bleeding episode in my esophagus a year ago. recently I have experienced rapid and horrible swelling in my legs ( tripling in size). I am 5'4 and average around 120lbs. I am a vegetarian and have a small build. I have cut out sodium and drink a lot of water. Is this a sign that my liver issue is getting worse sooner than expected? How can I manage this swelling as diuretics are not helping? Thanks
You need to contact your doctor. The massive swelling is something that should be a red signal.

As far as diet goes, people with advance liver disease need to keep up on their protein. If don't eat eggs or chicken and fish, then do eat tofu and beans for additional protein. It's important.
Elevate your legs, reducing salt to a goal of 500 mg a day is great and read labels! Tomato sauce serving has 600mg per serving! I'm so sorry, the swelling means your liver is having a hard time and a transplant is a good future option.  Don't ever drink again and congrats on staying sober. A transplant can change your life and make you healthy again...you must follow the program. Read food labels! You'll be shocked at the salt in virtually everything!  Good luck!
You may want to post in the Cirfhosis of the Liver Community. You will likely get more responses there.
Sorry to hear you have Cirrhosis. You should be seeing a hepatologist if you are not doing so. It's very porting you get proper treatment. A hepatologist at a liver transplant center is the best in the field and will make sure you get proper care.
Nan
Sorry about the typos. I find it strange that your dr said you will probably need a transplant in 5 years. Your symptoms sound serious now and I advise you to seek out another dr. (hepatologist).
Lee us posted.

Nan