Transplants Community
Successful Transplant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Successful Transplant

There is something that I want to share with all of you.
My brother-in-law returned from Brazil 9 weeks ago with a new liver. And he is doing just fine. We arranged his liver TP in one of the best hospital in Latin America and also accredited to JCI, and I was shocked on how quickly you can get a transplant down there. There is virtually no waiting list if you have the means to go from one state to another. And he wasn’t the only American he said. 3 of his doctors were trained here at the Mayo Clinic and John Hopkins.
Brazil has one of the largest public programs of organ and tissue transplants in the world. With 548 healthcare facilities and 1,376 medical personnel authorized to perform transplants, the National Transplant System is present in 25 states, through the Central State of Transplantation. With a state-of-the-art network to find the nearest donor to the nearest patient.
Unfortunately he doesn't have a Brazilian citizenship and we (the family) had to pay for all the expenses i.e. testing, surgery, hospital stay and personal nurse once he left the hospital. But all I can say is that we are so happy to have him back.
If you need any info pm me.
Avatar dr f tn
It is good to hear that your brother-in-law has a successful liver transplant operation in Brazil. This information would certainly be helpful to other members in this forum and would definitely give hope to a lot patients. Take care and best regards.