Transplants Community
Watering eye after cataract surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Watering eye after cataract surgery

I had cataract surgery on my left eye 2 1/2 months ago and the right eye 1 1/2 months ago.  the left eye waters all the time.  the right eye is fine.  everything is blurry and I do not see as well in the left eye.  my doctor said it is dry eye and to use drop.  I do but it does not help.  can you help me?

B. M.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello!
It is common for cataract patients to experience watering of eyes after cataract surgery. Dry eyes are common in old age and some people may become more aware of it after surgery. The area around the cataract incision should be kept well lubricated .In the absence of a good tear film one may experience irritation, watering of eyes. Artificial tear drops are recommended to reduce the symptoms. Blurred vision may indicate some serious problem. During cataract surgery part of lens capsule is left so that the artificial lens is placed properly. If this capsule becomes opacified it can cause blurring of vision. In such cases laser capsulotomy may be performed which restores clear vision. This is only a possibility based on the information provided by you. Consult your eye surgeon to determine the cause. Do keep us updated.
Best wishes!