Aa
A
A
Close
29837 tn?1414538248
Who should I listen to?
Two doctors, two conclusions. My transplant was Dec, 2, 2013. Just after the transplant I was on 10 mg. of Prograf a day for a couple of months or more. Slowly, after time, the doctor lowered it to 4 mg. daily. After two years I'm now at 3 mg. daily.

The interesting point here is this: The hepatologist that treated me for 13 years before my transplant saw my latest blood work of six weeks ago and he would have me on 1 mg. a day. The doctor at UCLA Medical Center that is treating me now, does not want me to take less than 3 mg. a day.

The same doctor who treated me for 13 years said I could have a glass of wine daily since my liver is in great condition.  The doctor at UCLA said not one drop of wine. Who should I or you listen to?

Magnum
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
163305 tn?1333672171
There is research showing that transplant recipients do better when on as low a dosage of prograf as possible. My guy in S.F. had me going for a trough level of between 2 and 5. Many docs aren't aware of the newer research. I'd go for doing less,and keep an eye on your blood work.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
29837 tn?1414538248
I will insist on it after the next blood work on Nov 23rd, as I always do.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
163305 tn?1333672171
Oh, and I agree that a little wine shouldn't hurt, I mean, you have a healthy new liver. As for me, I find since not drinking for so long, it gives me headaches unless it has no sulfides, i.e. organic only
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.
Transplants Community Resources