end stage liver failure
My very good friend has recently been diagnosed with end stage liver failure.  He has Hepatitis C, Cirrhosis, Emphysema and COPD.  His meld number was 14.  His main symptom has been lethargy (he sleeps a lot) but recently he has been experiencing stomach pain.  What may be causing the stomach pain?  Could it be an abundance of blood in the abdomen?  That is what he thought he understood the doctor said.  
Please tell me your opinion of his prognosis and more of what to expect.  I'd like to know exactly what to expect.
He has been given conflicting amounts of time as far as his life expectancy.  One doctor said 3-6 months another said 9months to 2 years.  
They suggested he go on a liver transplant list but have not been too supportive and have left him on his own to deal with that.  I want to help him but I"m not sure where to start and what to do.  He lives in Boston.  Where is the best place for treatment for him.  I assumed Boston was cutting edge but just read online that Mayo Clinic in Florida is cutting edge.
He said he feels like he is just waiting to die!  This is heart wrenching to me and I feel helpless.  Please help me to help him.  I appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Forgot to mention that my friend is only 49 years old.
Msi
Hi I'm from Kuwait  my husband have the same condition but he has hepatitis B
he sleep a lot ,confused,pain is from fluids in the abdomen  because the liver is not working probably> this was in 1997 ,he has his liver transplant in America in UCLA medical center in LA  and he is in  good health now taking his medication and making his routine checkups > and we have also many people from Kuwait go on this surgery in the USA in different liver transplant centers so dont worry > fell free to write and ask since this make you feel better since I went through this situation .  
Msi
my husband was 54 years old  when he do the surgery
He needs to be referred to a transplant center for evaluation. I would call the doctor who mentioned transplantation and ask for a referral to a transplant center for liver transplant evaluation.
There are some great hepatologists in Boston. One world renown hepatologist is:

Nezam H. Afdhal, MD

Your friend needs to be evaluated as soon as possible.

Good luck,
Mike
i'm 50 yrs old with hepatitis C and,A ,cirrosis and liver cancer my meld number is 28 what does this mean and, how long do i have to live?
I cannot speculate how long you will liver. It is clear that you need a liver transplant and I hope that your liver cancer falls within the criteria for a transplant.
I wish you the best of luck.
Mike
Hi Mike,
Was that last response to me one of the docs responses to you??  It looks like you asked a question under my questions and ansered it yourself.  I'm confused.  
Thanks for your opinion about my friend and for the name of that doc from Mass. General.  
I wish you the best!!
Oh I see Mike!!  The other guys name was Mike also!  lol!!!!
Hi Msi,  
Thanks for your response.  It was encouraging.  :)
Please give me some advice I'm 47 female with end of stage liver failure due to blood transfusion in early 80s . I have been in and out of hospital more than 100 times. I am being placed on transplant list however , I need some advice past two weeks I have had green watery oily diarrhea almost constantly. I throw up everything. I have a very swollen belly and leg cramps any body been through this please give me some advice.
From what I went through before my liver transplant, I was told that when you are very sick with Cirrhosis (as I was), you will be put higher up on the list. I was so sick and near death that I only had to wait three weeks on the list before I received a liver.

I'm no doctor so I can't advise on your MELD score. But know this, each hospital and probably each state will judge different levels of MELD scores before you are not only put on the list, but how high on the list you will be put. I experienced this when one doctor in San Diego, California threw one number at me regarding the MELD score, then a different doctor in Las Vegas threw a different number at me.Your doctor should have knowledge of all this. Good luck...

Magnum
You need to be seen by a hepatologist, a liver doctor immediately, Whenever a new problem pops up, call your doctor !! They are there to help you though often we need to be proactive.

Good luck,
OH