Transplants Community
heart transplant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

heart transplant

To whom ever wishes to answer,
  Our family dr. told my husband and myself that the problem with his heart is not the function of his heart but the actual heart itself and the only way to fix it would be a transplant, now we have lots of questions and don't know where to begin. What do we do and what are you suggestions or comments?
I am not very familiar with heart transplantation. I assume that the process is similar to the process for transplantation is general.
I think your husband needs to be seen by a cardiologist - heart specialist. If he believes that a heart transplant is appropriate he will refer your husband to a transplant center where he will be evaluated. If the center determines that heart transplantation is necessary then the real process begins. You get listed and you wait until a compatible organ becomes available and your husband is at the top of the waiting list.
You should Google "heart transplantation" and you'll find a lot of information. Here is one site that I found relevant.

http://www.uwhealth.org/transplant/hearttransplanttransplantprocess/10568

Good luck, Mike
While most of the information above is correct, one thing needs to be clarified: the person at the top of the list may NOT be the first to receive the heart. Compatibility is what is more important. You could be the 15th person down on that list and still get the available heart.
By the way, this thread is over 2 years old.

I did mention "compatibility".

"...You get listed and you wait until a compatible organ becomes available and your husband is at the top of the waiting list...."

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that the person at the top of the list would get a heart that was not compatible.

Mike
I do know the thread is two years old, but others may come on this forum and see this thread who are awaiting a heart transplant.

By saying: "....You get listed and you wait until a compatible organ becomes available AND your husband is AT THE TOP OF THE WAITING LIST....." you are leading people to believe that you have to be both: compatible AND at the top of the list which is not true.

A heart patient could be number 875 down on that list and get the heart ahead of anyone above him. The compatibility is what they look at above all else.