kidney transplant-cmv
Hello, about 3 months into my kidney transplant . My Nephrologist has indicated to me that I came out positive with CMV virus.  They explained to me that I was negative & that the donor was positive. Not to familiar with this Virus, but as I look it up it seems very scary. Another problem I'm confronting at this time, is that they've increased the Valcyte Medicine to 1 pill in the am & 1 pill in the pm. Very expensive Meds. Has anybody come across this situation after a kidney transplant? if so please feed me some information or experience. Would greatly appreciate the feed back. Thanks & god bless everyone
My daughter had a heart transplnt and her donor's heart had this same virus. She was on an antibiotic given through a pic line for 6 weeks after she returned home. She had her transplant 13 years ago so I don't think I'd worry too much about the virus. What is your doctor doing about treating you? As far as the costs for meds.....we've all had to deal with that issue; try talking to your transplant nurse about the problem you're having; they can usually help through their connections.
Hello, My Dr has prescribed me with a medication called Valcyte (450 mg) twice a day. My Dr diagnosed me with CMV PCR positive at 2000. I happen to follow up with him today & told me not to worry so much , cause the medication should be able to bring the levels down. I was driving my self crazy because when I looked it up on-line the prognosis of CMV didn't look to good.  I'm actually looking at getting help from a fund called (Healthwell Foindation) 800-675-8416. Just in case, try them out. Also working out a payment plan with the pharmacy. God bless you & your daughter , thanks for your input