Transplants Community
loving loulou

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

loving loulou

my mom is 63 years old she has non alcoholic chirrosis (cirrhosis) . she is being evaluated for a liver transplant they have done 2 breathing test last month we were told she could not get a transplant unless she had shunting which she did not . we were told they would not repeat the breathing test again well last wek the schduled the same test over again do you have any clue as to why they would repeat this . he said if she had shunting he would do a transplant and put her on top priority. but since this is not what she had he cannot do a transplant either way her lungs will be the same so why not try thr transplant rather than let her die we are confused thank you.
I could be wrong about this, but I don't think it has anything to do with the lungs at all. The liver gets rid of poisins in the body and it could be he is looking for those poisins to be present in her exchanges in the air from her lungs. The poisins can get into the brain and affect a person's temperament as well. Usually when things happen like that, there is a shunt present. Ask the doctor about this. Also, your mother is fairly young and it could be he decided to repeat the tests to see if there has been any changes during the last month. People who are being evaluated for transplant are being tested all the time; that's a normal proceedure. I don't think this is about the lungs at all, I think the determining factor here is whether or not she has the shunt. One thing that people also do not understand is that a person can be on the top of the list; that does not mean that you receive the first available donor organ; you have to have the closest type and matching to receive the organ......that person could be number 52 on the list. Take care