Transplants Community
navigate liver transplant maze

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

navigate liver transplant maze

My wife has been diagnosed with stage 4 cirrhosis.50 years old in otherwise good health.
due to moderate alcohol use,can't get transplant list for six months sober, never going to make it.
any help would be appreciated.
I don't know if my post will be much help or not. First off, I would not consider how long your wife "has left". No one can predict that; my mother had cancer so bad they gave her 2 months to live when she was diagnosed; she lived almost three and a half more years. My daughter had severe heart disease (Concentric Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy with several different electrical problems), they told us she wouldn't make it through her childhood; she had a heart transplant at 22 and is now 35.

There are some things you must know and ask yourself. The first thing you wrote was that she drank in moderation. That word: "moderation" means what....it is a very subjective word and means different levels to different people. I could say moderate is twice a week, an alcoholic person may say it's three times a day. Is she an alcoholic and if she is, is she getting help for that? I mean REAL help?

I don't know what the standard for a liver transplant as we have never had to deal with that, I do not know if it is as hard to come by as the heart transplant that my daughter went through, but one thing I can tell you is that a person facing a transplant of any kind needs to be able to have a sound mind in the terms that they need to be able to handle the strict proticals for having that transplant. The drugs, tests and bloodwork, all of the medical care that comes afterward; it's a lot to handle for anyone dealing with transplants. She would certainly not be able to be drinking and taking the drugs she would have to take. She would have a new lifestyle after the transplant and she would need to be mentally strong enough to accept that new lifestyle so she is going to have to want it; not for you, but for herself and herself only.

Different transplant centers have different rules for doing transplants; look into going to a different center although I would not hold my breath as to your outcomes, they may be the same. They do do transplants on patients who have been alcoholics IN THE PAST, so this can be done if she is otherwise healthy like you say. Another option is a partial transplant from a family member such as a child who has a match with her. You may consider that. I wish you luck......take care    

My husband had a liver transplant in June, 2013, 18 months after finding out he had Stage 4 cirrhosis as a result of Hepatitis C he contracted as a result of blood transfusions 30 years earlier.

He was listed in one transplant center but after 6 months of waiting we decided to looked elsewhere. He was transplanted at the second center  4 months later.

This link will give you important information of transplant centers around the country. This is how we found the other center that ended up saving his life. He has had some complications but he is alive and that's what matters.
http://www.srtr.org/

I wish you the best.  As her caregiver, you will need to be strong and supportive so take care of yourself.

Best,
Nan

Sorry about that - his transplant was in 2012!