renal and bladder transplants
My father-in-law just got out of sugery today due to cancer. they had to remove his bladder and rectum. i'm trying to do research on transplants. so i guess my question is are renal and bladder transplants at all possible? and if so where do i go to find the info on how to sign him up? i desperatly need this info. PLEASE HELP!!!
Sorry to say: no one just goes in and signs up for a transplant. Not even close! First off, they probably would never consider transplantation on someone who has a history of cancer, especially if it has spread in the manner that you describe, going from one organ to another. The reason for that is simple: you are on life long immunosupressent drugs for the rest of your life, that opens you up for the development of cancer and some patients who have had transplants go onto develop cancer soon after their transplants. I have never heard of a bladder transplant, kidney: yes, bladder: no. If transplantation was a consideration, believe me, the doctors would have approached your father-in-law about this treatment option. Your father-in-law would have been seen by a transplant team and would have gone through psychological testing. This is a VERY involved process and it takes time to get through.