Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Composition of RIMSTAR my wife is taking

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Thanks doctor. The "Rimstar" my wife is taking is composed of RIFAMPICIN 150 mg, ISONIAZID 75mg, PYRAZINAMIDE 400mg & ETHAMBUTOL 275mg. In addition she is also given Pyridoxine HCL 25mg. She feels hypoglycemic and talks irrelevant regarding different home care matters like what care has to be taken for my daughter what about my fathers medicare? blah blah blah.... For your kind information she is diabetic for a year but sugar was under full control for the last 8 months.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

You mentioned that your spouse "feels hypoglycemic". What medications does she take for diabetes and has there been any change in dosage or additions to her medication regimen recently?

What other medications does your spouse take everyday?

Have you mentioned the side effects to your spouse's primary care healthcare provider?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Hello! Doctor

There was no change in the dosage of Diabetic medicine. Even yesterday while on her workout session she felt hypo and fell back home immediately. From the last two days she is not feeling well about her digestive system. Is there a possibility of Hepatitis even if she is careful regarding her foods? She cannot digest hard foods at all after she started her RIMSTAR. Lever function test after 2 weeks of 4FDC was ok. But I feel that after this week there might be some change in the LFT report. This week she has skin rashes and itching all over the body.  

Regards

Tarek
Avatar_dr_m_tn

What were the results of the liver function tests? Hepatitis is a possibility if she is taking multiple medications; however, liver function tests should provide definitive information.

~ Dr. Parks

Thanks for the reply Dr Parks. Her liver function test was ok as the physician told me. It is almost her one month with RIMSTAR and she has developed joint stiffness and pain. Can it be arthritis and is it reversible? Coz I feel it to be absolutely drug induced.