Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Dangerous Travel

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Dangerous Travel
what countries should an organ transplant recipient avoid? I am going to South Africa to visit with my daughter who lives there and she wants to travel the continent to Zimbabwe and Botswana etc...But with an immune suppressed system is it safe?
Hello Irene,

It this forum, it is beyond our/my scope to tell you explicitly which countries you should or should not visit. However, the more important way of thinking about your question is: what will you be doing in each location and what are the risks associated with your planned activities given your medical history?

You should consider seeing a travel medicine specialist before you travel. Before doing so, you might consider visiting http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/ to explore some of the risks associated with the destinations that you are planning to visit.

The following link might be helpful in finding a travel medicine specialist/clinic near where you live. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/content/travel-clinics.aspx

I hope that this response is helpful to you.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.