Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Dog Bite

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Dog Bite
My daughter 7 yrs old was bitten yesterday by my two & a half month old pup, who is not yet immunized against rabies. One tooth mark with skin tear. advice treatment.

If your puppy and pet dog has not had exposure to Rabies, then you need not be concerned about transmission of the rabies virus from your puppy to your daughter.

Was the bite in close proximity to a joint?

As with any bite, infection should be your primary concern. You should be mindful and observant of the following symptoms: redness (erythema), swelling (edema), warmth at the location of the bite and pain. If you see any of these signs, you should consider seeking medical attention. Keep the area where the bite occurred clean and dry.

What type of puppy do you have?

Has the puppy remained indoors and/or without exposure to other animals (domestic or wild) since birth?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.