Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
In case of Non-Bite Rabies exposure, If I am not Infected, Whether rabi...

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

In case of Non-Bite Rabies exposure, If I am not Infected, Whether rabies vaccine can Cause Harm or Side Effect?
I am from India & have Possible Non-Bite Rabies Exposure on 18.03.2011 & now decided to take Non-Bite Rabies Exposure Injections. In case I am not infected, Whether, rabies vaccine can cause any kind of Harm or Side effect?

It is important to consult the vaccine information sheet (VIS) for the particular vaccine product that is available in India.

For example, the VIS from the CDC website states:
"A vaccine, like any medicine, is capable of causing
serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions.
The risk of a vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is
extremely small. Serious problems from rabies
vaccine are very rare.
Mild Problems
•  soreness, redness, swelling, or itching where
the shot was given (30% - 74%)
• headache, nausea, abdominal pain, muscle
aches, dizziness (5% - 40%)
Moderate Problems
• hives, pain in the joints, fever (about 6% of
booster doses)
Other nervous system disorders, such as
Guillain Barré syndrome (GBS), have been
reported after rabies vaccine, but this happens
so rarely that it is not known whether they are
related to the vaccine."

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-rabies.pdf

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thank you Sir, Today I visited a govt hospital for vaccination. The Slip issuing Clerk himself Wrongly guessed my age = 22 & wrote same on the slip. In hurry, it was Left unseen by me.

Actually, I am 33. I handed the same Slip to the Doctor. After observation, the Doctor prescribed me 5 doses of (Rabipur 1 ml) Injections and Left to his House & didnt came back to hospital. Before vaccination, I noticed the erroneous age & didnt vaccinated.

Sir, please tell, Whether (1 ml dose) is sufficient for a 33 year old?

Should I get 2 ml dose?. Please Tell I want to vaccinated today.

1 ML is the correct dose.

~•~ Dr. Parks