Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Is rabies virus can be transmitted from injection vials?

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

I have taken a half filled multishot-vial for ticks to give my dog ​​from someone who keeps more than 100 dogs and when I wanted to give an injection to my dog ​​... the needle accidentally stuck my hand . my question is that, can this put me at risk of getting rabies and if the rabies virus can survive in the vial's solution?

Was the needle "clean" before you used the needle to withdraw the injectate from the multi-dose vial?

What exactly was in the multi-dose vial?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
its for ticks . new needle but the vail used before in one needle to many dogs

In general, rabies virus persists and lives in saliva and blood and it is not likely that the virus would survive in the vial.

~ Dr. Parks