Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Malaria

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Malaria

Doc,

I am in high risk malaria area for last 4 years but I never have malaria but since last week I start feeling some pain initially on my neck then on the back. Initially i feel like just a neck pain and I applied some massage but it does not reduce so I Feel strange and went for the malaria test it  was positive. The physician here gave me a Quinine Sulfate 300 MG X 3  for 5 days . Now I start feeling dizzy, stomach upset. I think all of this is a side effect of the medicine. But for almost 3 days after taking medicine I am still having pain on the root of my neck, on the center of my upper back. Seeking your advice for the same. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

What type of test did you have for malaria? a thin and thick smear? what type of malaria did the provider think that you have?

How are your symptoms now?

If you continue to have pain at the base of your neck and upper back, there are other possible causes of neck and upper back pain that could be evaluated by a medical provider.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.