Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Possible leptospirosis

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Possible leptospirosis
Hi! I have a dog living in my apt whichi used to live in a camp and was in the wild, I vaccinated (the first shot )almost 3 weeks from now. He urinated today in the kirtchen and I did not noticed and accidentally stepped on it and watch the sole of my foot right away. What am I supposed to do now?? Should I go to the doctor?? or there is really no risk at all

For humans to become infected with leptospirosis, it is required that exposure occur through cuts or abraded skin, mucous membranes or conjunctiva (of the eyes). In general, intact skin on the sole of the foot is not a route of exposure.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thanks a lot Doctor