Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Rabies Vaccine

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Rabies Vaccine

Dear Doctor,
Can Rabies vaccine cause Rabies. As i know there's inactive Rabies virus in vaccine. Can they be active after injected to human body?
The vaccine I'm being treated that is Mérieux Inactivated Rabies Vaccine – Sanofi Pasteur Pty Ltd
Thanks,
Avatar_dr_m_tn
No. There is no possibility of you acquiring rabies from the rabies vaccine.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Dear Doctor,

Actually, I have bit by a squirrel for nearly 2 years. My finger bled after the bite. But till now, i decide to get rabies vaccine because i heard somewhere told that the incubation period can last for some years. My doctor also encourage me get vaccine although it's very low risk. So in case, the squirrel really contracted Rabies whether it's too late for me to get vaccine or it's valid because i haven't developed the symptoms yet?

Honestly, i don't still feel secure although i'm getting vaccine at the moment

Thanks,
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello again,

For rabies, the average duration of incubation (period from exposure to development of symptoms) is 20-90 days.

There are reports of cases where the incubation has been reported up to 7-19 years.

However, in more than 90% of cases, incubation is less than 1 year.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.