Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Subcutaneous Ivermectin injection~

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Subcutaneous Ivermectin injection~

Hi, I was just wanting to make sure it is okay in proper doses to inject Ivermectin 1% into myself as well as my cat subcutaneously. It is sold for primarily cow and swine.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

I would defer your question regarding your cat to a veterinarian.

For humans, there is an FDA (US) approved formulation that is oral and I would not recommend subcutaneous administration of the large animal preparation (1% ivermectin).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a607069.html

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.