Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Throat/Chest Tightness - Hep B vaccine side effect? Duration/Onset?

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

I have had tightness in my throat and a "lump" sensation for 2 weeks now. The lump feeling has went away for the most part but there is still a lot of tightness in the front of my neck just below my adams apple area. I also have a good bit of discomfort in the back at the base of my neck. When it first started I felt that I could not breathe and was under a lot of stress because of the feeling. Just the slightest activity sent me into a panic attack. On the 4th day I went to a GP who treated me for laryngitis/sinusitis. After finishing the antibiotic and steroid, I feel "better" but the tightness has now moved more into my upper chest now than my throat. I went back to the Dr. about a week after being on my antibiotic, blood work was done and everything came back fine. I had recently received a Hep B shot about a week prior to this starting. If anyone could suggest  anything they think it might be it would be appreciated. Also, the side effects of the vaccine are very similar, but I don't have an accurate time frame for when this would be occuring if it was from the vaccine. Throat and neck tightness is noted but it doesn't say how long (like an acute attack etc.) I am 29 and had never received any vaccines before that one and a DTAP (for school) a few days prior. Thank you.
Tags: Hep B vaccine, chest tightess, side effects, throat, tightness
Avatar_dr_m_tn

A few questions for you....

1. How many days after the Hepatitis B vaccine (and DTaP vaccine) did your symptoms begin?
2. What exactly were your initial symptoms? Did you have a skin rash? Did you have wheezing with breathing? Did you have any symptoms on the day of either vaccine?
3. Did your healthcare provider believe that your symptoms may have been related to the vaccine(s)?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.