Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Travel after bypass

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Travel after bypass
My father is 82 and had 5 heart bypasses  while in Germany My question is how soon
after the surgery should he be traveling He is supposed to return to the states end of the
month

There is important information about your father's health status that should be considered before definitive recommendations are made regarding trans-Atlantic travel.

In general, 6-8 weeks after cardiac bypass surgery is considered be "safe" for consideration of travel plans after bypass surgery. Some of the important considerations are:
1. His level of function and ability to conduct activities of daily living (walking, going to the restroom, etc.)
2. It is very important that your father be able to get up and walk every hour or so on the trans-atlantic flight.
3. His cardiologist should be asked to "clear" him for the flight based on where your father is in his cardiac rehabilitation program.
4. Besides the bypass surgery, does he have any additional medical problems? (for example: heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.)

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.