Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Unwell after trip to Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Hi I'm back from honeymoon nearly two weeks now, we began our travels on the 28th March and stayed in Bangkok and then worked our way through Cambodia and then up the coast of Vietnam for three weeks.  Didn't really go off the beaten track and took all the usual precautions and am still taking the antimalarial tablets.  Since my return I haven't been able to keep my eyes open past seven in the evening, for the first few days I put it down to jet lag but surely it can't last that long!  I've been feeling nauseated, dizzy on ocassions, very tired, headaches, heightened sense of smell and vomited yesterday.  Also feel hot and cold and although I don't have a thermometer my head on occasion has felt warm and clamy.  I'm definitely not pregnant as I have done a test and am currently menstruating.  My GP doesn't seem too concerned and has sent a stool sample for testing but won't get the results until next week.  Just a little worried it could be from travelling or maybe it's just is a bug and I'm being overly cautious.  Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

A couple questions for you....

1. Do you have any symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea, rash, yellow color of the white part of your eyes?

2. How much time passes between the periods of time when you feel hot and cold?

3. Did you take any medication that was intended to prevent you from getting malaria? if so, what medication? how often did you take the medication (as directed or did you miss days)?

4. Have you been seen by your healthcare provider yet?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.